Tuesday 30 April 2013

Foodie Pen Pals – Almost flour free cashew biscuits

The end of the month (and the beginning of spring) can mean only one thing. And this month I received a parcel from the continent, the Netherlands to be precise, so I got a lovely mixture of foreign treats from Cynni.



There was;
  
Caramel and Vanilla Tea – This is a lovely, slightly sweet tea that I am already regularly tucking into at work.

Stroopwafels – I’ve had these caramel filled waffles before and these are some of the best I have tried.

Pumpernickle Bread – I am also a fan of all things rye and this bread is light but malty.

Fruit bars – A selection of fruity snack bars that will provide a bit of variety from the normal fruity treats you can buy here

Hazelnut chocolate – Chocolate + Hazelnut = yum!

So thanks Cynni for the lovely parcel, I look forward to munching my way through all of these treats!

I sent my parcel to Kari, and after making my own Cashew NutButter the other day I thought I had better find a use for it (rather than just eating out of the jar with a spoon). A little internet research and I found numerous recipes using peanut butter to make biscuits without any flour and so I would attempt a cashew version. I was slightly dubious that eggs, nut and sugar would form a stable biscuit and after dolloping the first batch mixture onto the baking tray and watching it endlessly spread out I started panicking that the recipe wouldn’t work. So in the midst of panic I added some gluten free flour to the mix. The results – two successful batches of biscuits! So if you have the nerve it is possible to make flourless biscuits!



INGREDIENTS

250g cashew nut butter (find out how to make your own here)
150g caster sugar
2 eggs
Optional ingredient – 100g gluten free flour mix

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°C.

Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.

In a large bowl combine the cashew nut butter, sugar and eggs and beat until well combined and smooth.

(If you don’t have the nerve for flourless biscuits fold the flour into the mixture at this point).

Dollop teaspoon sized portions of the mixture onto the baking tray, leave a lot of space between the biscuits as the mixture will spread (especially if you don’t use flour).

Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment